Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Would you like to Two Step?

I'm going to be honest with you. I've been to a lot of places. I intend to go to even more. But I really never thought I would ever be asked that question.

But I was. Last night. In celebration of a friend's birthday, a few of us went line dancing at Nick's Bar/Club, "The best country bar in Northern Virginia". I know. I know. But it was fun! For $5 you can receive a one hour line dancing lesson, learn about three dances, and then use them throughout the night, often to live music. It's kind of a steal. By the way, we also learned that you can buy 6 drinks and three massive appetizers for $30. Also, quite frankly, a steal.

I've only been to Nick's one other time, and it wasn't a great night. The "country bar" atmosphere was a bit intense for me, particularly since the group of guys chatting me and my girls up were sporting confederate flags on their clothing and one of them had a tattoo on his forearm of a machine gun. Not the type of guy my dad is really hoping I'll bring home. Plus, their witty banter including things like, "Gurl, I wanna make you smile. Why you frownin? C'mon, gimme a smile." A guy is rolling the dice with that approach, let's be honest. As a stubborn Irish girl, if you try that on me, it really just makes me less inclined to smile. I don't find it charming, I find it patronizing. Bygones..

So, yes, line dancing. While I politely declined the gentleman, I did have a lot of fun learning the dances. Of the three, I really only mastered one, but I'm OK with that. My mind is completely boggled, however, but the sheer NUMBER of line dances in existence. Many songs have their own dance, and some songs have multiple versions of their own dance. It's just nuts! Watching everyone last night, there was more than a handful of dancers out for every song, doing an entirely different dance each time.

What was frustrating was, as someone who danced for so many years, I assumed I would be awesome and be able to pick everything up straight away. Not the case. I was, however, thrilled when the instructor said, "The next step is a kick ball change". I honestly haven't heard that phrase since my tap class in elementary school, but I was giddy that I knew what it meant!

No comments: