My roommate works with some real characters. Among them is a couple who started dating about a year ago, and are essentially inseparable. While that may be a superficial indicator to us, aka "the rest of the world" that they are deeply in love, I am assured that is perhaps an inaccurate assumption.
Nevertheless, the guy in the relationship, we will call him Dreyfus, has been seen getting drunk as of late and waxing poetic about proposing to his lady, we will call her Lupe. (There is an accent on that "e", by the way) He is 30, and from the South. These are the only details I know about him beyond the fact that he drives a Porsche SUV. She is mid-20s, already divorced, getting chubby as of late and a Yankees-fan. Again, just giving you what I know. While the Yankees thing alone makes her unworthy of love, she has also been quoted as saying things like, "Women should not talk about sports. It makes them seem unattractive." Only Yankees fans say stupid things like that. (Except for you Em, sorry if you are reading this!) Anyway, here is his reasoning for popping the question soon:
1. She cooks
2. She is great in bed
3. She is willing to stay home and raise their kids
Am I off base in thinking this is insane? Was it just me or am I the only one who did not hear anything about love on that list, or friendship. I see the things he has indicated as his "essentials" as true perks (OK, maybe #2 is essential) to a relationship, but perhaps not the foundation of a marriage. Maybe I am just wrong here.
Just interesting to consider the different vantage points from which people consider marriage. I guess I had been operating under the assumption that perhaps a bit more thought went into it for everyone. If I learned these were the reasons behind a proposal to me, I would return the ring to the giver fast as lightening, and beat him over the head with the frying pan I was using to cook him dinner.
Sunday, April 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am horrified by this story. On the other hand, perhaps it's best for the rest of us that Dreyfus and Lupe have found each other and will not inflict themselves on the innocent.
These people should surely be shot.
Post a Comment