Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What to do with...

Orioles fans.. seriously.

I'm sorry, but you are some of the sorriest sacks in the game. You don't turn out for your team, you are often outnumbered by the visiting team's fans and you're just, well, boring. You also have one of the best parks in the league... but for what purpose?

I went to see the Orioles with a group of Tigers fans tonight. They were a loud but manageable group of visiting fans. I will confess, at times, some of our comments were, well, borderline obnoxious. But what these people came back with.. egad! As someone who was called a "dirty whore" in Yankees Stadium upon returning from the loo sporting my Red Sox cap, I just know they can do better than this. A few examples:

"Tigers fans, huh? World Series, huh? Well what about your football team? YAH! They suck!"

Upon hearing our version of their Orioles chant that sounded something like "Oheo.. Magglio.. Oheo.. Magglio" they responded, "Oheo.. you suck-o... Oheo." Wow.

The last example I can't recall entirely. All I remember is hearing Cory say "Heckles aren't supposed to be three sentences long."

And since when are fans ACTUALLY prompted by the JumboTron? "Make some noise!" the streaming banner ordered. "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" went the crowd.. kind of.

I'd just like to see some personality in these people. Is it just me or is Maryland full of some of the most subdued people on the face of the Earth? I hear Ravens games are a very different experience, but I still can't take a team seriously that was named after a poem. I love literature, but that's just ill-fitting.

Or perhaps I'm simply spoiled by places like Fenway Park and Yankees Stadium, where the baseball is in the blood and the personality of the fans is as much an owner of the team as anything or anyone else. What I don't miss are the fights, but perhaps that's simply the price you pay for a truly electric sports experience.

No comments: