Monday, April 23, 2007

On the big guy having my back

My Blackberry is broken. It freaked out on itself late last week and has been totally unrevivable. I think it's the greatest blessing of the past year.

Not that it really keeps me away from anything. But I like that I'm not responding to the 10 e-mails I missed during my 20 minute walk from work to the Metro on my commute home, after putting in a 10 hour day. I like that I'm not constantly menaced by it's flashing red light. Don't get me wrong, I still managed to leave work at 7:30 tonight, get home at 8:30 and do work until 11:30, but there's still a sense of magic in the air.

Forced "vacation" can be a very good thing. It also has me thinking. I attended a forum, really a large "interview" of this candidate for a position at work today, and he mentioned his life philosophy as summarized in a T.S. Eliot quote about the life divided. He aims to stay one personality, one being rather than the professional person and the personal person. I do feel my individual personality, and perhaps some of my better traits, have been lost in my working world as of late, the first things to be sacrificed amidst increased stress, worry and negativity. I hope I can bring them back together, if for any reason, to truly rest assured that I have given all of me in an effort to make things right.

For what it's worth, his next quote was "No day but today!" from Rent. Credibility gone.

No comments: