Thursday, April 26, 2007

On needing new headphones...

I get it now. When you don't wear headphones on the Metro, people talk to you. And not only does it not matter that you're deeply invested in another activity, but man, are they snoopy!

So we had the Vonnegut fan earlier this week. This morning we had the Sudoku player. As I worked away on my puzzle, the woman next to me asked, "How long have you been playing?"

We then went on to have a conversation about how long each of us had played, why we liked it, when we preferred to play it, etc. It was a perfectly fine conversation, and really didn't last all that long before her stop, when she wished me a nice day and was on her way. Still, I just don't understand why some people are not only at ease, but also completely unapologetic about chatting people up on the Metro. I'm sure I should find some level of inspiration in it, just some well meaning folks trying to fight the anti-social DC Metro machine, but I find it a bit intrusive.

To quote Ellis Paul, "What has this city done to you? Has it taken the small town out of you? And turned you into someone I never knew."

No comments: