I've become an OK cook over the past few years. Granted, I always need a recipe off of which to work, and I've seen my fair share of failures, but I can hold my own for the most part. Traditionally, where I fail utterly, is in the baking department.
Rarely do a batch of cookies come out for me, and I always manage to burn brownies. It's just not my thing. The one thing I've been able to make consistently well, however, are popovers. My great grandmother made popovers for us all the time so it's a family tradition. They are tricky as hell to make, however, and require steps like:
- all ingredients should be at room temperature
- don't scrape the bowl when putting the batter in the popover pan
- yes, there's a special popover pan
- don't open the oven to check on them until 5 minutes before they should be done
Anyway, I've botched two batches of popovers in a week and I'm actually quite sad about it. I guess because I hate wasting food, I hate having the expectation set for a treat and then not delivering, and I hate that I can't seem to reproduce this wonderful symbol of my childhood.
I did, however, manage to make a perfect batch of chocolate chip cookies last night, so all I really need to know is what the hell is going on. If I had to choose, I'd rather be able to make the popovers. So deity of baking, if you're listening, can you reverse this curse and empower my popover prowess once more? Thanks.
Love,
Margaret
Sunday, June 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment