Sunday, June 3, 2007

On an overall grand level of being disturbed

Packing, packing, packing. After an afternoon of Game Show Network and a marathon of Passport to Europe, with a healthy nap in between, I finally got my act together and started packing again around 6 pm. I move in less than a week and had only taken care of books and DVDs. Whoops!

So I did my laundry and determined what I'll be wearing over the next six days so I could start packing my clothes. This was my initial "WTF" moment of my packing experience tonight. I needed 4 outfits for the workweek and two packing/moving outfits for Friday/Saturday. I determined I needed to have five outfits out, which then grew to 6, because I need to have choice. Sigh. I also 5 tank tops out when I only need two for Friday/Saturday. Again, choice. Because looking good when I'm moving in 88 degree heat on Saturday is essential. I'll be sure to do my eye makeup too. Seriously, though, why do I make simple things difficult? Anyway, my closet is now packed, as are most of my drawers, save the sock and underwear drawer. Now that this particular task is complete, however, I'm absolutely horrified with myself.

I'm staring at one of my bedroom walls and I'm counting approximately 11 suitcases and duffel bags full of clothes and shoes. WTF?!?! Seriously. I'm horrified. How do I have SO many clothes (this count does not include the four trash bags full of clothes and shoes going to charity, BTW). I'm fearful for the arrival of my friends who have agreed to help me move. I have this feeling they're going to look over these bags and walk out the door, in complete horror of their poor judgement of who I am as a person. OK, a bit dramatic, but I have the sense I won't live this down for a while. Oh well, as always, I'm just here to entertain.

Here's the other thing. Why do I have so many baseball caps? No, really. Why do I, ME, have so many baseball caps? I do not play baseball or softball in my free time. While I enjoy the game I am deathly afraid of the ball ("there goes your social life") and, because of it, was never a popular pick on the softball teams I was forced to join in Phys Ed. I own at least 11 baseball caps. I wear two of them and only when I'm going out in public before showering. Perhaps I should ditch some.

So, I am in a better place packing wise than I was, but I'm pretty anxious about this upcoming move. I've moved all of my stuff with one other person before, but for some reason I'm feeling ever more helpless and completely guilty about the very kind people who have offered to help me on Saturday. I'm stressed. It's odd, because I couldn't be happier about the move itself. I just don't want to pack and I just don't want to move big, awkward heavy things. Why DID I buy that life sized Big Ben?

No comments: