When I refer to smushy face, I'm referring to Penelope Cruz. Since it's impossible for me, as a woman, to have any level of respect for Penelope, as she is one of the most beautiful creatures to walk the planet, I have to make up degrading nicknames for her to make her existence on this earth alright. I decided one day that her facial features were slightly too close together, hence smushy face. Makes perfect sense, right?
I've never been a huge fan of her acting either (honestly, without bitterness I feel this way). One day, the point was made, and I can't remember if I made or if a friend made it, that perhaps she really is a great actress in her native language, and I'm just being distracted by the accent. I watched Volver last night, the film for which she was nominated in the Best Actress category at the Oscars this year and, you know what, that may be accurate. She was fantastic!
So now I'm trying not to feel bad for being distracted by her accent. But, at the same time, it must be incredibly challenging, as an actor, to convey the same level of emotion and clarity in a language other than your native tongue. And I have to say that she really grew on me in this film. I think it was getting beyond the notion that her popularity had to do more with her looks than anything. Further, the roles I've seen her in prior basically include her playing a beautiful foreign woman without a lot of depth. She's always the love interest but little else. In Volver, she is flawed but strong, a hothead, a struggling mother, and, yes, completely beautiful. I'm convinced she gained some weight for the role, and she's honestly never looked better.
I'm pleased to announce that Cruz is smushy face no more. I can now focus my hatred on Jessica Alba exclusively.
Sunday, June 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment