Saturday, June 16, 2007

Not that's it's profound or anything

While sitting in traffic one day this week I came upon a spot very popular with beggars. My experience with this spot it it's usually a homeless man occupying it, usually black, though never the same guy. Midweek this week I saw it occupied by a homeless white woman who looked to be around my age. She wore a tank top and denim overalls and carried a cardboard sign that said "Homeless. Please Help. God bless."

And then the strangest thing happened. I saw three people in three different cars roll their windows down, call her over and give her money. I've seen this spot enough times to know this doesn't happen often. Which, of course, made my cynicism come out and conclude that because she was a white woman, people were more eager to help. It bothered me. A lot.

I saw her there the next day and at a spot nearby the day following. I didn't see the same showing of charity during those later days that I saw on the one, so maybe it was just a fluke. But the cynic in me argues it probably wasn't.

No comments: