Thursday, August 2, 2007

On nonawkward awkwardness...

So what's the deal with meetings?

I really like the people on my staff. Well, most of them. Truly, I do. I have really good relationships with my one team in particular, the one that has always been mine as opposed to the ones for whom I am currently "PsuedoBoss" (think RoboCop without any weapons or armor... aka the US Military). We laugh a lot, we're nice to each other and, for the most part, we really do get along.

So what is it about putting them all together (they also like each other) in a room, around a table, with me at a head chair that suddenly makes things SO bloody awkward?

I try to keep things as light as possible with this crew. But, suddenly, my jokes aren't as funny, my sarcasm isn't returned, nor are my smiles or enthusiasm. Ok, maybe they are a little bit, but only in subtle undertones. It's as if they're afraid of each other's reactions. Sometimes I wonder if they don't want to be seen by others as kissing up.

The thing is, I really AM that funny and charming. Doesn't that make it ok to get caught? I just don't see why meetings have to be painful. When I was in that professional position, and before I had 7 back to back meetings to run to in a day (not kidding - that's coming up on Monday), I loved meetings. Then again, maybe that's why I keep getting promoted too fast.

It sucks to be such a dork sometimes.

No comments: