Today was so very unexpected.
Turns out my team, the one I've been "rebuilding" in a seemingly never ending fashion in my 20 months on the job, orchestrated quite a surprise for me today. Using my boss in order to access my calendar and "deliver the package", they managed to "kidnap" me for a belated birthday lunch. They planned the whole thing, completely surprised me, treated me to lunch, an adorable birthday card, a $40 Starbucks card, a book I've been wanting, and another book just for fun. When I came downstairs with my boss to "say hello to a visiting colleague" and saw my staffers standing there yelling "SURPRISE!", well, if you know me at all, you'll know it took everything in my power not to cry.
I have felt unloved, unliked, unwanted, you name it, at this job since day one. Some people can just rise above that and move on but, if you've read this blog before, you know I've really struggled with it. I've had a few allies here and there, but, overall, it's just not been a warm and fuzzy place. When you've always been a boss in a particular place, perhaps that's just the name of the game. Simply put, if you had told me even six months ago that such a thing would take place, I would have laughed in your face given the players at the time.
Clearly, however, times have changed.
It was such a wonderful gift. I was truly overwhelmed. At the risk of sounding like a cheeseball, I hope this is the dawn of a new day.
Still, I'm really really really happy I managed not to cry.
Thursday, August 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment