I did something today I've been wanting to do for 19 months and 10 days.
I rearranged my office.
I have loathed my office set up since day one. I have an awkward shaped office, was given a desk and a partial desk to form an L shape, and was as far away from the window in my office as was humanly possible. I was also placed in such a way that even if my door was wide open, no one could really see if I was in there. So, even if a colleague had a meeting with me, they still had to peer around the door as if they were interrupting. Or, even worse, they'd peek through the crack in the door to see if I was there. That was annoying as sin.
So, today, I decided to take charge. Actually, it was a lot like being in college again. We have a big event tomorrow at which I'm speaking, and I was already well beyond my self-imposed deadline to have my remarks done. I had a morning full of a meetings but an afternoon to devote to my speech. Since I finally spoke up about wanting the rearrangement this morning, and I was assured it could happen that day, I got to spend about two hours making my space at least workable. This, of course, allowed me to procrastinate finishing my remarks even longer. When I was in college, I typically had to clean my room before starting a paper or studying for exam. Pretty funny. And, in case you're curious, I did finish them tonight. I actually think the refresher to my office made me more productive.
I'm totally digging my new space. First of all, I'm now as far away from where the roaches seem to emerge as I can possibly be. Plus, I'm right in front of my window. Granted, the way it's all set up my back is to the window, but I really don't care. I also face the door. The look of shock on faces who passed by and glanced in was awesome. Without fail, people smiled. "Hey! This is great!" I automatically sensed that the new space was more welcoming, more inviting and friendlier. Perhaps I'll now be perceived as a little less evil because of it. I also heard some feng shui nonsense about the space as more "balanced" now, which I politely nodded at and widened my eyes to imply interest, but mocked in my mind the entire time. Hee hee.. that was fun.
So the new office arrangement was inspired to complement my new work attitude. Since my space has a bit more warmth to it, perhaps that can assist in my perspective. I'm just trying to be a little more Bob Marley in my approach to work. Less anger, more marijuana. Ok, no, not really. I simply don't want to be so stirred up all the time. I want to be more chill. Let more roll off of my back. By making my space happier, I hope I've taken another step closer to achieving that.
Thursday, August 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment