Sunday, March 18, 2007

An Open Book

I've always been a bit of an open book, an easy read, and all sorts of ways to describe someone incapable of keeping their own secrets. Others' secrets? No problem, my lips are sealed. But when it comes to my own? Not so much.

My mom called tonight to tell me our cat Sadie is sick. The timing is obviously not good (see a few blogs down). We were expecting her to be out of sorts without her big sister, but she's demonstrating all of the same symptoms Sheba was and it turns out the food they've been eating is the same that's been recently recalled for causing.. wait for it.. kidney failure. Granted, these cats are very old and we knew Sadie couldn't possibly last long without Sheba. But still...

Oddly, I'm not at all shocked. When my phone rang and I saw it was my mother, I knew this was what she was calling to say. I just feel horrible. I'm obviously sad, but kind of numb at the same time. I just don't know what to to do for my mother. She's going to try to take Sadie to the vet tomorrow, and I think we're all safe in assuming the worst. I've never been a believer that life is at all fair, but sometimes I am truly amazed at how much is thrown at any one of us at any given point in time. My mom's been through a lot, lately, so this is just such an enormous blow. What does she have to prove? What is this supposed to teach her? Is this supposed to inspire a change of some sort? What does it mean? Perhaps nothing, but occurrences like these tend to give me great pause.

So, please keep my Mom in your thoughts tonight, and of course , Sadie my lady. It's much appreciated.

No comments: