Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Laugh Whore

The thing about public speaking is that there is only one way to really know if the audience is engaged in what you have to say. You've got to make them laugh.

Over the past few days I've been doing a lot of public speaking. As I looked at my remarks, there were two potential spots for solid laughs, so as I near them in my remarks, I tend to pick up a little energy. Why? Because there's nothing better than (intentionally) making a roomful of people laugh.

It turns out that only one of these spots gets consistent laughter. The other is more of a smirk instigator. And that's OK. I get the solid laugh at the end to close the deal and that works for me. I guess my point in sharing this is how we all fall victim to it. Part of my remarks include the introduction of a very impressive, very respected keynote speaker. An incredibly bright guy, PhD, all sorts of books written, considered a national specialist on public policy (I almost typed pubic there.. a national specialist in pubic policy), he's as much of a laugh whore as I am.

I've seen him go for the same jokes that have worked the night before. Some of them have been new so it's endearing to see him keep in the ones that worked the night before. Don't get me wrong, he's a funny guy, with this dry dry dry sense of humor, but it's simply a very humanizing thing. This is a person who is a little intimidating, truth be told, but he wants that acceptance as much as the rest of us. And we want it for him. Last night, I actually saw his following speakers set him up for a joke he forgot to tell, because it worked so well the night before.

The past few days have been a nice boost to the confidence too. I've had a lot of people in the audience and a lot of impressive people I'm traveling with compliment my delivery and my remarks. It's a good feeling. As you know, I've been feeling a bit defeated lately at work, so it's nice to get my groove back. Plus, to garner any sort of praise in the company I'm keeping on these trips is a truly remarkable thing. Of course, there is a moment when I'm about to introduce one of our other speakers where I have a Bridget Jones Mr. Titspervert moment every time I'm about to say his name. Let's hope that moment continues to pass.

We have our biggest event tonight! Let's hope the luck continues.

No comments: