Wednesday, March 7, 2007

How to save a life...

I try not to nag people. (Waits patiently as certain people who read this blog spit out their beverage.) Seriously. I'm not interested in being your mom. I only nag when I'm truly worried about someone. Fine, don't hang up your towel, but don't forget to take care of yourself, kind of thing.

I've been nagging my boss all week because I've been truly worried about her. And I have to pat myself on the back for my timing, because just as I was recovering from my own little freak out she entered into hers. There were tears, and I suddenly felt OK about everything I was going through last week. After all, she's got 30 more years experience than I, not to mention a PhD, so I'm feeling less like a freak and more like a, gulp, boss. Well, an accountable boss in a high pressure situation anyway. Don't worry, I know it's still not normal, but at least I'm not completely out of my mind.

Anyway, last week she mentioned in passing she was having chest pains. "Nothing constant, just once in a while." Like that's supposed to make anyone feel better. So what started with a simple "Have you called your doctor, yet?" once a day turned, this week, into a "Did you do it yet?" every time I saw her. A truly patient woman, I could tell she started to get really irritated. But it wasn't enough to make her pick up the phone. Finally, today, I had to call in the big guns.

I mentioned the situation to the man I fondly think of as the office "dad". He's a father of four, a grandfather of seven, and was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Army and served tours in Vietnam. Once I told him what was going on , he returned to my office two minutes later to say she was on the phone making an appointment.

So, it paid to be a nag today. You have to look after the people who care SO much about what other people think that they sacrifice their own well being for the perceived well being of others. Hmm.. that doesn't sound familiar at all.

I did a very good thing today.

No comments: