Sunday, February 18, 2007

No street cred

I'm so sick of the cold weather. Unfortunately, I don't feel particularly entitled to this feeling.

DC winters are a joke compared to what I grew up with. Childhood in Maine and college in the frozen tundra of central New York taught me that winter started in October, usually around Halloween, and didn't really end until May. Sure, the temperatures started to creep up a little in April, but that didn't mean you couldn't get a massive snow storm the following week. Snow rarely equalled a day without school; a storm really had to have moxie to cancel or delay classes where I'm from.

So, here I am, mid-to-late February, and really only two months into true winter here, and I'm just done. Granted, it has been colder than it should be here, and we're all still feeling the impact of a storm that brought snow and ice to the region last week. Still, we did not see all that much snow. It was the ice that really complicated things, there still wasn't that much of it, but the temperature has yet to rise enough to really melt it, so there are landscapes of icy snow all around. Of course, the bigger problem is no one knows what to do with it here, so parking everywhere remains an issue as nothing is really plowed out, walking surfaces aren't fully cleared, it's just absurd. Schools were closed 3-4 days last week, when there was only one day where precipitation of some sort fell from the sky.

I know my friends in New England will read this with disdain. I know I'll be out of it before you are, and I know I've yet to have it as bad as you (though, let's face it, winter was delayed for you this year, too.) I'm sorry everyone. My blood has thinned and my overall ability to deal with winter is leaning more to the side of those below the Mason-Dixon Line. I just can't wait for warmer weather, days without jackets, cherry blossoms and, well, an overall happier attitude for me and everyone around me. Then, at least temporarily, I can stop dreaming of vacations I can't afford to take. I'm sick of being cooped up and want to go outside and play!

1 comment:

Steven Greenberg said...

I read this with disdain. :-)