Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Cheese, George, Cheese

Welcome to my obligatory Lent blog. I'm so glad you've joined me.

The verdict? Cheese. I'm giving up cheese. Go ahead, laugh.

Lent is about sacrifice or giving more of yourself. Since I'm already maxed out in the self giving department, perhaps not with charity but certainly with my sanity at work, and thus not quite in the ways God intended, nevertheless, I have to go with sacrifice. And there is really no greater material, measurable sacrifice in my life than cheese.

OK, that's a lie. Caffeine is the bigger sacrifice, but that is off the table. I have rules, people. If God doesn't understand, he's not the guy I thought he was.

I have caffeine every day, but I'm quite certain I have cheese every day too. But when Lent falls during one of the toughest stretches of my professional life, giving up an opportunity for a quick jolt of consciousness is unacceptable. So cheese it is. This is hard for me, people. I don't quite think you understand. I require cheese.

I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so giving up chocolate really isn't giving up much of anything. Beyond soda and cheese, I don't have a ton of vices. Well, other than sniffing glue, but that, too, gets mama through the day. But I cook a ton of pasta recipes, and they all have cheese. Cheese on salads, cheese on sandwiches, cheese on pizza, cheese on burritos - it's all gone. And yes, this includes cream cheese, CHEEZ-ITS, Cheetos.. oy, and right after I discovered the baked ones.

I have successfully given up cheese before, and lost about 5 or 6 lbs because of it. I will confess I'm hoping for similar, if not better, results. We'll see how it goes. My success with Lent has wavered in my older years. When you're young and vibrant, you're up for the challenge and are simply satisfied in life based on the fact that you're young and vibrant. Well, I'm old and blotchy now, so it doesn't quite cut it anymore.

I'll confess we're less than 24 hours into Lent and I already feel like I've veered off course from its meaning. See, although I've avoided cheese, I talked myself into lunch at McDonald's today because I was depriving myself. Hmmm... something about a square peg in a circle.

Anyway, good luck to my fellow Lent participants and for the love of God, eat some cheese for me.

Days without cheese: 1

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I remember the time of no cheese!!! GAH! Why would you do that again??! (Though, now that I think about it, those Easter nachos were DAMN good, so maybe I can see where you're going here....)
I have to say, though, if it's 5-6 lbs you want to lose, well, then, have I got the cold for you. Yup. My V-day gift from the boy-person. Gotta love him. I had like a half-cup of leftover fried rice for dinner (b/c I was starving), and I think I'm gonna hurl. Seriously, I'm not not-hungry, but I've only eaten like 1200 calories since Monday. This is what it's like to be a super model, isn't it?
But, no cheese for Lent (reprise), yeah. Good luck with that. (Good call on the keeping the caffeine.) I'm bummed I'll miss out on Easter nachos, though. Those were tasty, and precisely what God intended. :)