Not so long ago, my MP3 player died on my commute home, leaving me to my Sudoku puzzle sans soundtrack. I was doing just fine until the gentleman next to me decided to engage me in a conversation about different puzzles, what his wife prefers (Sudoku) versus what he prefers (crosswords), what type of puzzle is more difficult, etc. I was reminded that, should you opt not to wear earphones on the Metro, you take this enormous risk every single day - the random stranger chat up.
Today, however, I fell victim to the unexpected, "I don't care how many 'Leave Me Alone' indicators you're sporting, lend me your ear" chat up. Despite my MP3 player blaring, Sudoku puzzle half completed, distant and exhausted look on my face, a gentleman sat next to me and proceeded to tell me all about how he ended up at the wrong stop, on the wrong train, so on and so forth. I politely smiled and assured him he was back on track now. Tee hee.. on track... sigh...
It then occurred to me that I didn't take part in the conversation out of the kindness of my heart. See, when you live in a place like DC, you get paranoid. I, in turn, became convinced he was doing some sort of sociological study about how human decency is lost and no one needs anyone anymore. Human interaction is no longer necessary. Hey, this stuff happens around here. So, because of my selflessness, that study will never be published. You can thank me later.
On a random and concluding note, my former boss (as in the last organization I worked for) sent me a lovely bonsai tree to congratulate me on my pseudo-promotion. I don't know how I managed to swing that, having my boss from the job in which I was miserable reward me for success in the position for which I left her. Damn. I really am good. Now if only I could get my papasan chair back from my ex.
Monday, February 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment