Saturday, February 3, 2007

Curse you Zach Braff

I've spent my Saturday afternoon wasting away and watching a Scrubs marathon on Comedy Central. I also took a luxurious nap over about 4 episodes, but that's besides the point.

My point is I'm trying to forgive Zach Braff. In general, I think he's great. I admire his commitment to Scrubs, I appreciate the quirkiness behind it, and I really enjoyed Garden State. Plus he's got that blue eyed, big nosed, dark hair thing that I've always liked in a guy.

So it won't surprise you that I was really looking forward to watching The Last Kiss. I was excited about the cast (ranging from Casey Affleck to Tom Wilkinson to Jacinda from Real World London... clutch!) and had high hopes for his potential in what I thought was more of a romantic comedy, albeit a bit more tortured one than the average fare. Gulp. That's not really what the movie is at all.

A dear friend's husband called it "the perfect depiction of what it's like to really be a guy." This may be true. But it also played into every single insecurity I have (please see previous blog) and left me a puddled mess on the floor at its conclusion. Zach Braff plays a 29 year old man whose beloved girlfriend has gotten pregnant. Both seemingly into it but also agreeing marriage isn't the answer, they seem to have found a mutual groove to serve as the foundation of their relationship - we're together, we're in love but we don't need no stinkin paper to tell us we're legit type thing.

It was a fine movie. The acting was good and the dialogue worked, plot line was believable, etc. While I wouldn't say I was necessarily rooting for any character or actively sympathized for any, I was still invested in them. Actually, if anything, I disliked quite a few of them, so much so with one of them that I actually cursed my sex aloud when she appeared on screen. So, again, it was a fine movie, but I will simply make sure it never crosses paths with a DVD player in my physical presence ever again. It's a heart wrenching movie that I found really difficult to endure.

So, if you've lost faith in men recently, please avoid this movie at all costs. Though, at the same time, if you need a reminder of just how rotten and selfish women can be, perhaps it's a good weekend afternoon activity for you. And I won't turn my nose at its ultimate message: do right for those you love and your conscience, be honest and never drive your Prius into a tree.

No comments: