Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A new perspective.. this time, with cheese

So I had a mini meltdown at work yesterday. It wasn't pretty. Lots of closed doors and crying for no good reason. My mental health was questioned by two different people - my boss and another colleague whom I admire deeply. A friend joked with me that now everyone probably thinks I just found out I'm pregnant. I'M NOT BY THE WAY! I finally decided it was a funny thing for him to say about 3 hours after he said it. Anyway, I had to ask my boyfriend to come get me at work (a 70 minute drive for him thanks to traffic and general BS about driving in DC) and I felt overall helpless, needy and dumb.

Anyway, I need to have a new perspective. I've been operating without any balance in my life for a while now, and I'm recommitting myself to taking it down a few notches. So, I'm asking my friends to help me out and not let me give the "I've got too much work" excuse. I think I just need a new approach to work and a healthier attitude. I started today by letting myself linger in bed for an extra 15 minutes (I am the effing boss after all), treated myself to a cappuccino and bagel.. WITH CREAM CHEESE! That's right... I realized it's also entirely likely that the lack of cheese in my life led to temporary insanity. When I accidentally blew it by ordering a Caesar salad last night (covered in Parmesan shavings), I realized that Jesus was just going to have to deal.

So, yes, new perspective, small pleasures. I loved the fact that the sun was out when I left for work this morning (instead of pitch dark) and that birds were chirping as I walked to the office. My friend Jenny is in town this weekend, which I couldn't be more excited about, and I may get to go see a hockey game in luxury box tickets tomorrow night at no cost. Originally I turned them down because of work. I think I will reconsider.

Anyway, yesterday was scary and, again, a reminder of how quickly things can catch up to you and you not realize it. So, here's to a new start.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

I felt this way in December, and I can't imagine how much more awful it would have been if I didn't have any cheese. *clinking virtual champagne glass* Here's to balance and new perspectives!