There's a woman I work with, and am temporarily supervising who, despite a lot of smarts and even more work ethic, is just "so young". She's 27, looks 16, and acts like she's on the early side of prom more than she does her reality of 10 years post-dance.
She's someone who has it all figured out. Despite having held some pretty strong opinions in the past, I've always been a bit more balanced. As much as it hurts to have my "fantastic and don't you agree I'm amazing?!" ideas shot down, I'm usually willing to confess others' ideas can, at times, outshine mine. Ouch. That hurt.
Anyway, this week has been a particularly traumatic one on the job front. I've been asked to do and publically endorse something that, in my heart of hearts, I simply don't believe in. And, let's face it, I'm not that great of an actress, so it's taken a lot of careful word choice and facial control. I've lost sleep over it, I've shed tears over it, and my voice has quivered as I introduced the idea to those I know it would most disappoint. It's been a rough one; rough enough to make me thankful that there is a possibility that come this summer, I'll be gone.
And my dear, dramatic, full of potential but full of immaturity colleague has only made it worse. She is the one who will, in fact, suffer from this decision the very most. At least in the short term. Which can feel like forever when you're on the receiving end.
Still, sometimes it's just amazing to look at someone just a year or two younger than you, and marvel in the differences. I'm not saying I'm any better than this person, but I am saying I can work a professional environment with a lot more sophistication than she can. Her mentality is just.. well.. stuck. She's been there less than a year and seems incapable of learning from others. She references herself as "a veteran" often enough to make my stomach hurt. She's someone who I feel I could truly offer something to in the way of professional growth, but is also someone who I'm not sure I'm patient enough to walk alongside.
I need to find it in me. She has the potential to rule the world someday. And, given my current malaise is due to the reality that decision makers above me would be a lot more inspiring with more fire in the belly, maybe she could teach me somethings after all.
Wednesday, December 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment