I had a conversation with a co-worker this week about getting away from the true spirit of Christmas. Every once in a while, I think we'd really be very well served if Linus emerged from the sky, blanket in hand, saying "Lights, please!" and reminded us of what the holiday season is all about. Even if religion isn't your thing, it's important to remember this is the season to be grateful for what you have, particularly as it relates to people - family and friends.
I've been keeping a spreadsheet for the past two Christmases that records who I've bought for and what I've bought them. In addition to keeping me organized, it forces an "Equalizer" eye on my gift giving. Particularly for people at work, I don't want to go overboard on one and not enough on the other.
See, I've already gotten away from the spirit of the holidays with that very philosophy.
Of course, this is all just an elaborate set up to inform you that I purchased 114 presents this year. No, I'm not joking. 114 presents for 35 people. Granted, most of these gifts were of the $1 variety, placing themselves in gift bags I put together for the 19 people at work I felt compelled to by for (go Target with $1 ornaments and Mrs. Fields chocolates!!!). But, still. Methinks I've gone a wee bit overboard.
I feel like I could have been "done" with shopping a few times by now, but the problem with starting too early is that you simply have too much time to talk yourself into that one additional gift for someone.
The thing is, no one is spoiled this year. I wish they were, but they are not. This does, however, serve as a true wake up call that next year make require even more creativity on the job front.
Of course, I just realized that 114 doesn't even include the stocking stuffers I've purchased. Yikes.
Sunday, December 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Step away from your credit cards. Seriously, no one should buy 114 gifts. Like, ever. For serious, over a three to five year period that would be a lot. Might I suggest either an office Secret Santa or, what we do (and I think you could get behind this, as there is often cheese involved): a "munch all day." It's exactly what it sounds like, and it's wonderful.
Post a Comment