Monday, December 31, 2007

On things that are worth the wait...

You may or may not have uncovered the fact that I am a Daddy's Girl. My father is my hero, has sacrificed everything for my success and is my number one fan. It's my father's attention, and that alone, that allows you to accurately describe me as a spoiled only child.

You'll recall that one of the many successes of 2007 was that I finally bought a car. At 29 years of age, I have my first set of wheels. I am still in love with my new found identity as someone who can get herself, thank you very much, from point A to point B. It turns out that my dad is just as in love with this new identity as I am.

My holiday trip home was blissfully uneventful in terms of weather, at least on the traveling end of things. The night before we left for the return drive, however, brought about a wintry mix that left its impression on all of the cars in the parking lot at my dad's apartment building. When I came out the following morning to pack the car, I noticed my car was the only one parked without any snow on it. My dad, clearly, had made a point of clearing it off before he went to work at the God awful hour of 5:30 am.

When I called to tell him we were taking off, I thanked him for the gesture. "That was so sweet of you, Dad!" "Are you kidding," he responded, "I've been waiting to do that for you for a really long time!"

It really is the little things that make you feel loved. I'm the luckiest daughter in the world.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

That is, seriously, the cutest story I've ever heard.