So I've got this thing about being on time. If I'm late for anything, it stresses me out. Even if it's by a minute or two, I get the shakes. I've simply been taught to equate timeliness with courtesy and respect.. it's as simple as that. So, yes, I'm often early. Of course, all that results in are the tardy people in my life seeming even later than they actually are.
One area in which I cannot release this pet peeve is meetings. I have a few staff members who are constantly late to meetings, to the point where I simply feel they operate on a clock that is set 15 minutes later than the rest of the world's. I've tried to let it go as much as possible; after all, in the grand scheme of things, if people do their jobs well, what does it really matter?
Except for today.
I have a weekly 11 am staff meeting. Every week. Always at 11 am. Always in a room outside of our own building.
Every week, some little group is late. It's irritating as hell, particularly when space is at a premium and you can count on being kicked out of your room if you go over your time. But today. Today NO ONE was there at 11 am.
A few shuffled in at 11:03 .. the rest came in within another 10 minute window.
I get that shit happens. But this was unacceptable to me.
I ran a short and productive meeting. We left. But I couldn't let it go. It's hard to walk the fine line of being the easy going likeable boss (what I've been going for), but still having everyone's respect.
So I wrote an e-mail. It went something like this:
I couldn't ignore the fact that everyone was late to today's staff meeting. Yes, some were late by just two minutes, but no one was there by the traditional start time of 11 am.
I know there are a variety of completely understandable reasons for being late, today was no exception given other meetings and important phone calls that go over time, but, in the spirit of the new year, I'd like to ask that everyone simply make a greater effort to make it to staff meeting on time. While this was the first week everyone was late, in the past there have always been groups wandering in after 11. I know staff meeting is not everyone's favorite and I recognize it's a pain in the neck to have to leave the building for a meeting, particularly in cold weather, but I appreciate, in advance, your understanding, courtesy and respect.
As you know, space is a premium on campus and we have been kicked out of our meeting room at times for going over. Always remember, the sooner we start the meeting, the quicker it ends.
Thank you again for your hard work this year and enjoy some well deserved time off next week.
I received two responses, immediately, essentially saying "You go girl!"
Of course, they were from two people who are always late. One even said, "Thanks for taking the unpopular opinion and running a tight ship!" While I appreciate and need the support, I feel like writing back, "And thank YOU for taking advantage of my non-confrontational and easygoing self for the past year and a half!"
I swear, I just can't win.
Thursday, December 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment