Wednesday, December 5, 2007

On the weather outside being frightful

It's snowing in Virginia. Buckle up, everyone.

I've lived in the DC area off and on for a span of about 4 years since 1999. And throughout that time I've been more than happy to point and laugh at what the people here call "winter" or a "heavy snowfall". As a native Mainer, one who has lived through a variety of ice storms and blizzards in her time in New England, I feel like I carry a lot of street cred.

Well, I felt I did. Until now.

Driving. My parents really didn't let me drive in the snow. Something about that only child thing again. Consequently, I have little snow driving experience and, upon seeing the lightest and friendliest of flakes fall, I get a bit of panic in my belly. "Do I know what to do? Do I have the right tires?" Overall, I feel like I have a pretty good head on my shoulders for this stuff, but I'm also really fearful of people around me doing stupid things. After all, I live in Virginia. During a solid but hardly paralyzing storm last year, one man just got out of his car and left it on the Wilson Bridge. It was working just fine; he, however, was not.

So, as I take it slow and leave ample distance between me and the cars in front of me, I pray that the native Maine blood kicks in when I need it. I also sit and wonder why I ever thought driving to Maine for Christmas instead of flying was a wise idea. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Um, yeah, my car that works fine in MA snow skidded past Uncle Nick's driveway in Long Island snow (i.e., wet flakes that kind of sort of covered the ground). Go figure.