Sunday, December 16, 2007

On the cost of parking....

You should know, first of all, that I have a fantastic driving record. Certain haters in my life (ok, not really haters, but reality obsessors) would clarify by saying I never owned a car until this year. Hey, cut me some slack. I've done my fair share of driving and, if you're reading this blog, likely in your car. Aren't you happy I've behaved myself while within its confines?

Friday night brought forth my first parking ticket. Yes, at 29 years old I got my first parking ticket. And don't get me wrong, I knew it was too good to be true, but I'm easily confused by signs that say "No Standing" instead of "No Parking", particularly when there is a meter RIGHT THERE. And, of course, I had my co-worker, who does not own a car, scope out the meter to make sure we were ok. (We were decidedly not but it, too, was unclear to her undriving self).

So I emerged from our office Festivus themed happy hour where, in the spirit of being a good boss, I threw down an extra $20 to take care of the first round of beers. Too bad, I could really need it now. When I saw the ticket, I was decidedly bummed, but it wasn't until I realized the amount that I was offended.

$100 for a parking ticket! Can you believe it? But, as my boyfriend astutely pointed out, they have to make the parking fines unreasonable,otherwise no one is going to pay for a garage.

I'm simply grateful that I have another month to pay it. With Christmas in full swing, that kind of money just isn't at my fingertips (see blog above). And might I also take this moment to wish the meter maid mafia a joyous holiday season.

No comments: