Monday, July 2, 2007

Because work isn't hard enough..

It's hard to come back to work after a great weekend. Hell, it's hard to come back to work after a lousy weekend. But I struggle with those Monday morning wake up calls and the need to really pull my act together. At least this is a short, albeit randomly constructed week. Off for the 4th of July on Wednesday and off on Friday to head to Michigan for a wedding. Three days isn't so bad. Right? Well, I do need to get my act together in these next few days considering I have three new staff starting on Monday. Wow. I could have sworn I had at least a month to prepare for that. Oh right, I did, I just didn't use it. Bygones..

So, like I said, it's hard dragging yourself into work. I must say, however, it's even harder to drag yourself into work when you can count on having cockroaches in your office. Big, fat nasty cockroaches. I saw the biggest one of my life a couple of weeks ago, as it leisurely positioned itself on the Trinidad and Tobago bandana I use as a wall decoration. "Is that a cockroach?" My colleague innocently asked in the middle of our pow wow. "Why, yes, it is," I replied, "and I'll just be getting closer to you now. Don't call HR." It was huge and scared the crap out of my tough guy staffer. I had to rely on the vegetarian in my office for any attempt at disposal (he insisted it be humane.)

So, anyway, we've got a roach problem here. And not tiny roaches. Whatever, I can deal with those. These ones are bigguns and their markings resemble some sort of native art from a colony lost long ago. Anyway, I opened my door to be greeted by another this morning, just hanging out on the floor, waiting to ask how my weekend was. I didn't focus so much on the humane removal this time around, as I needed to get that mother f*#&@$ roach off my mother f*#&@$ floor. Thank God for the shoe collection I keep under my desk.

Anyway, it just doesn't seem right that I have to deal with this. I work for a school that costs a whole lot of cash to attend. So much so that you'd think we could be assigned our own pest control guys. Like, individual. Mine would be named Skull and he'd have a shaved head and markings for every roach he'd ever taken away.

How's that for a Monday morning fantasy?

No comments: