Monday, May 28, 2007

Losing my sense of humor...

Am I turning into a nasty old woman?

I went to see Louis CK with a group of friends last night. He was performing at the DC Improv, one of my favorite places in town.

I absolutely love stand up comedy. So, I'm left baffled by how not funny I found this performance to be. Particularly given the fact that everyone else in my group was laughing so hard they were crying and they were complaining that their cheeks ached.

I don't know what my problem was. Granted, when I saw his HBO special, I didn't think it was that great, so I didn't enter into the night thinking it was going to blow my mind. Still, what is my problem?

Please understand the act had its moments that even I appreciated. But there are certain topics I have a really hard time laughing about. They include, in no particular order:

anal sex (with human or animal)
9/11
why being married sucks

If you know anything about Louis CK's standup, you can detect why there may have existed a bit of a disconnect. Still, I felt like a prude. I don't deny the guy's talent or his ability to truly tell a story. What I've learned about standup over the past year or so is the importance of the journey it actually takes you on and how it should "wrap up" at the end of the act. He does that very well. I just think what he does, the content of his act, that is, is very "easy". For example, one of the things I really like about Jerry Seinfeld is that he doesn't curse in his stand up act. His reasoning? "Easy laughs." Understand that I'm my father's daughter, and can curse like a sailor if in the right mood. So, again, it's not like I'm suddenly Angela from The Office. I guess I'm just looking for something else.

This is all said with the understanding that I could NEVER do what he does. I'm in awe of it. Still, while I wish that I could have laughed along with my friends, last night, I take a bit of pride knowing his joke about masturbating as the twin towers fell did nothing for me.

No comments: