Friday, October 19, 2007

On a weekend with me...

Thanks to the unforgiving nature of my fall travel recruitment season, tomorrow is my first day off in a month and this is the only weekend I have at home in October. Because higher powers enjoy mocking me, my guy is out of town this weekend attending a conference. While I would like nothing more than to share a weekend with him, I have no issues with my plans for total vegging out and relaxation. Oh, and seeing at least one of my best girlfriends in the process.

As I drove home tonight, exhausted from our full day open house and the energy required to give remarks and be "on" all day, I contemplated my complete lack of desire to prepare dinner. All I could think about was fast food, ice cream and chips and dip. AKA, Celtic Not's Bermuda Triangle of Nutrition. Despite my exhaustion, I made my way to the grocery store to stock up for a weekend of baseball, naps and catching up on DVR.

Standing in the checkout line, I considered my purchases and it made me giggle. Reduced fat potato chips. French Onion Dip. Edy's Slow Churned Reduced Fat Samoas Girl Scout Cookie Ice Cream (cookies AND ice cream together = perfecto!). Rotisserie chicken. (I intend to make three meals out if it). Wine. Coke Zero. Lean Cuisines for next week's lunch.

Am I the portrait of a chick hanging out by herself this weekend or what?

My mood was tired, yet nevertheless indulgent and celebratory. And the good news is I was inspired to at least cook some corn and couscous to compliment the chicken legs I decided on (sitting down with the entire bird and just a fork did cross my mind). Unfortunately, I've already had WAY too much ice cream. It really IS the most delicious ice cream on the face of the earth. But it's all good. I'm enjoying my first Saturday to myself by getting up at 6 am to meet a friend and her daughter for a charity 10K walk where I will walk it all off. And then get right back to where I started with a celebratory lunch of Indian food.

It's only Friday and it's already a truly magnificent weekend.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Did you buy a trashy magazine? Or one that promises to revamp your closet and/or provide 5 new sex tips? If not, it's not the full chick-hanging-out-alone-for-the-weekend package.