Tonight was another event night. This time, Tarrytown, NY, otherwise known as Westchester County. In this part of the world, my "clientele" can be incredibly challenging. I wasn't sure what to expect tonight, and wasn't feeling 100% on top of that, so I quickly went over my notes, suited up and went downstairs.
Tonight's was a fantastic event. I nailed everything I wanted to say. My tone was spot on. My jokes worked. My colleague was on her game too. At the conclusion of the program, parent upon parent, student upon student, came up to compliment us on the program and me on my presentation. We seemed to really pull people in. Those who had already been to campus were officially hooked. Those who had yet to visit campus suddenly couldn't wait to get there.
I'm not naive. I understand that some of this is good manners and the conscious realization that they're supposed to come talk to me and say SOMETHING. Still, the compliments I was receiving on my presentation, my skill, my demeanor, seemed different than usual. One parent said to me, "you must be individually responsible for bringing so many students to your school." Another, "You do a wonderful job. Really. We've had a fantastic time." As I skipped up to my room, I checked my blackberry to read emails from last week's students (yes, those in "no personality" Hartford) thanking me for the presentation and how influential I have been in their decision to apply.
Flattery really will get you everywhere. Particularly with me.
Again, I know some of it I should just take with a grain of salt, but it all means so much to me. It's the validation I need in a time of constant uncertainty and turmoil at work. Though many of the "haters" are gone, there are still some who look at me and wonder why.. why is SHE in the position she's in. What has SHE done to deserve it? It's nights like this that I am able to remind myself that I do have a gift of connection, of making cold and distant things more personable, of fighting off smoke and mirrors and having honest conversations. The very thought that there were 5 or so people tonight who told me I have made an influence (and a positive one!) in their decision making is incredibly meaningful.
For the first time in a 6 year career, I feel like I actually RECRUITED. That I actually spread the message that's been needed to be shared, in a effective manner. It's funny how easy it is to become spoiled. My first job in this field required little of me in terms of relationship building. It was churning out volume, being a road runner and doing as I was told. I was quite good at it, no question. But I couldn't always say I was a good recruiter. And, if I'm being completely honest, I was a bit turned off when I first took this job as to how much outreach we had to do. As with anything else, it's hard to suddenly have to work for something that's always been there for free. But I've finally turned the corner. I feel like I ramped up my game tonight. And it feels amazing.
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment