I have had horrible luck with sunglasses. I've broken 3 pairs since July.
As I put my bags in the car to make my way to Westchester County today, I realized I was missing one thing.
I didn't have a pair of sunglasses.
It wouldn't have been that big of a deal, but it was a very bright day and my eyes are very sensitive to the sun. I'm not a vampire or anything, I just wear contacts and am incredibly susceptible to eye fatigue.
Don't worry, I try not to share this fascinating story on first dates or anything.
I ran around looking for the one non-broken pair I thought I still had, but to no avail. Sunglasses are one of those things I've actually become incredibly cheap about. They break running loose in the gigantic mommy bag you carry for work or you lose them so easily. I watched a woman I was traveling with in Latin America last year spend $200 on a pair of sunglasses she'd been coveting for a year, only to lose them two days later. No thanks.
So I always go cheap when it comes to sunglasses for these very reasons. And, well, because the one time I splurged on sunglasses, this beautiful pair of Serengetti driving lenses, my appendix burst. Yes, the same day. I can't help but think I was being punished for spending $100 on a pair of shades when I could have spent $9.99. And I know I can't burst my appendix again, but, what if something else bursts?
So my trip began with a stop at Target to get a $9.99 pair of driving lenses that looked fun on me as I left the store but, a four hour drive later, just look stupid. Oh well, at least I didn't spend $100 on them. Or lose an appendix in the process.
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The easiest way to not break sunglasses in your bag is to buy a $2 hard-sided case for them. Or to keep them on top of your head at all times. Through a combination of these methods, I average one pair of new sunglasses every 2-3 years. And, for the $14.99 that I usually spend on them, well, they'd better last!
Post a Comment