Sunday, October 14, 2007

On let's be clear about one thing...

I am not at all excited about the Sex and the City movie.

Don't get me wrong, I will likely end up going with a group of women (to be named later) and we'll probably do something predictable like go out for cosmos before or after the fact. I vote before in order to a) make the movie funnier than it actually is or b) allow me an excuse to sleep through it.

I was completely devoted to the show during its run, but I think for the social benefits outside of the episodes. More often than not, watching the show meant Kelly, Chrissy and I put on pajamas and busted open a bottle of wine... or three. Or, at work the next day, discussing the show gave an excuse to go to Starbucks and get a morning coffee. I never fully related to these women. How could I possibly? I'm not a trust fund baby, I'm not a gold digging whore, I'm not THAT bitchy, and I'm not a chain smoker with a fetish for $500 shoes. I also don't have any friends who meet this description.

So, as all this press floats around about the anticipation for this movie, my prediction is it won't do well at all. Only SJP has had any element of success in staying truly relevant, and she's done so outside the world of entertainment, opting for perfume and clothing lines instead. I think it's been too long since the show ended for anyone to really care anymore. I'm fully prepared to be proven wrong, but I think the typical SATC audience can agree that if this group of women is STILL meeting at coffee shops and overpriced restaurants to discuss Samantha's sexual escapades and how her AARP dues have gone up, the ladies have simply gone from chic to sad.

No comments: