Wednesday, October 10, 2007

On the tortoise and the hare

One of my married friends from high school just sent out a mass e-mail announcing she is 11 weeks pregnant. This is the same girl who once told me that the "special song" she and her boyfriend at the time (this was college) shared was "Doin' It" but LL Cool J. She also had sex in the laundry room of her dorm. Wow. Guess we've gotten older and, hopefully, wiser.

Within an hour of receiving that news, another good friend sent an e-mail announcing she'd just gotten a puppy. Of that, I am INSANELY jealous.

Another friend then announced her live-in boyfriend has suddenly decided to go to grad school and she's trying to figure out how to put him on her health insurance. How disgustingly grown up is that? And God bless you, Massachusetts, for allowing domestic partnership benefits for all!

I bought some new makeup yesterday. Somehow it just doesn't feel as exciting or life changing. (It's doing wonders for my under eye circles though!)

It's odd to be at a time in your life when any day can bring such extraordinary news. I'm at that age, certainly, weddings, babies, puppies, houses - I feel like someone is jumping in to one of these scenarios every day. I'm trying my very best not to feel like I've fallen behind. I don't know who I think is watching and judging this supposed contest, and it's not like I haven't experienced some success on my own, it's just different and, well, I'm doing things in reverse order. Job success first, perhaps family, puppies and financial stability later.

Still, I'm not going to lie to you. I'm afraid of waking up one day as a version of a couple of bosses I've had. Bitter, single, overweight, over 40 women who don't know there's more to life than work. I've had two of them and they're out of their respective minds. I know there was a time when they were likely both normal and likable. So, I beg you, blog readers and friends of mine, please continue to monitor me and set me straight on a regular basis. I just don't ever want to lose perspective, and it seems all too easy to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I'd rather have the puppy. Do you think we could arrange a trade?