Wednesday, October 17, 2007

On appreciating "up"...

Yesterday was Boss Appreciation Day. Yah, I didn't realize that either. Until one of my friends on staff, someone who I "kind of" supervise, showed up at my door with a Starbucks card and said "Thanks for all you do for us!".

You know me. Between that and PMSing, I came THIS close to tearing up.

It was such a thoughtful gesture. And, thanks to her kindness, I was able to fuel up for my drive to Tarrytown today with a vendi Pumpkin Spice Latte and a chocolate chip scone (Um, they have caramel inside. Go get one. Immediately.) Receiving that card made my day.

And it got me thinking. I was warned by two colleagues that the assistant I inherited in my acting role would essentially cast a spell on me and my loved ones if I forgot Administrative Assistant Day. So I took her out to lunch and we had a lovely time. And it really was my pleasure to do so. I just think it's funny how clearly she had no idea what yesterday was and, if she did, did nothing in recognition of it. Honestly, I would never have expected her to and I absolutely believe the world would be a better place without Boss' Day, Admin. Asst. Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Valentine's Day, etc. Isn't it better to receive a card or flowers or a small gift, "just because"? Isn't it better to say "thank you", "you're wonderful", "I'm so lucky" or "I appreciate you" on a random day? But no, if you receive something like chocolates, clearly it's in recognition of a special occasion. And even those of us who would prefer flowers out of nowhere have that feeling of pressure on days like Valentine's Day because, despite your philosophy, if you don't get something, the absence is that much more glaring. Sigh.

Maybe I'll look up some spells to cast after all.

No comments: