I just returned from a happy hour with my fellow workshop attendees. It was a nice event, low key, open bar and live music. Since networking was an implicit part of this happy hour, I enjoyed one cocktail and switched to soda. After all, my margarita at dinner was a bit intense.
So all you ever hear about Austin is the music scene. Though I know it's not limited to country and jazz, that's all I was expecting. Instead, I found myself completely transported. There were two guitarists, a drummer, a violinist and a flautist. The violin and the flute appeared to be played by two high school aged girls. Nevertheless, as the music surrounded my conversation, I couldn't help but feel like I was in the middle of a Wes Anderson movie. I expected to look to my left and see one of the Wilson brothers, standing next to Bill Murray, about to film their next take. It was bizarre. Then again, the Wilson boys being Texas born, for all I know this is the band featured in the soundtrack of every movie in which they've appeared, making me far less clever than I want to believe I am. Nevertheless, it was fresh, unexpected and dodged any sort of genre or label I could attempt to apply.
I loved it.
Wednesday, September 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment