Tuesday, September 25, 2007

On making chicken interesting...

I have a rule in restaurants. I don't order chicken. Why? Because even I can make chicken, and it's rare when any restaurant can make chicken in a manner interesting enough to sway me otherwise.

I ordered chicken tonight. Why? Because I'm in Austin and convinced myself that chicken stuffed with some sort of delicious soft cheese was healthier for me than the steak option on the menu that I really wanted. It was fantastic. So, next time you're wandering Sixth Street in Austin, stop by the Old Pecan Street Cafe and have the Chicken Poppicotti. Even if you have a rule against chicken, it's fun enough to say to sway you otherwise.

Ha. But that's not even the point of this blog. RED HERRING!

The great thing about this week is it gives me an opportunity to reconnect with old friends and colleagues and expense the experience to my school. It doesn't get much better than that. Tonight, I met up with a dear friend/former colleague and an old boss of mine. In fact, this old boss is the reason for my relocation down to DC, which has resulted in some of the most rewarding (albeit challenging) professional moments, and most unexpected and wonderful personal moments of my life. So, thanks for hiring me for that horribly crappy job, Judy. Because of you, I'm more accomplished professionally and happier in matters of the heart than I have ever been.

But I digress.

While dining out this evening, my dear friend told us the most bizarre story.. I simply can't deprive you of it. My dear friend, who has become a regular at a country bar in town that offers line dancing, was finally confronted by the creepy old guy who stalks her every time she shows up for dancing. The two times I've gone to said establishment with her, I've been tempted to throw down on this old man for harassing my friend. He stalks her, asking her to dance, asking me to dance, and staring at the table as we get caught up. She has obliged him for the most part, but also learned the art of the gentle turn down after she's already danced 10 of 12 routines with him.

So this guy, let's call him Marley, hands my friend a letter recently when she shows up to dance. Keep in mind, while he's offered to buy her things such as new boots for dancing and an occasional meal, my friend has always said no and never done anything to encourage an advance. Nevertheless, the letter explained it was high time they define their relationship, getting everything down on paper in case of a future separation, so they could keep their personal property, but understanding he would be "most generous" in any sort of settlement. He also indicated he'd prefer they have 2-3 children. Now, not only is this guy OLD, he is also not so steady on his feet. I can't imagine (gag gag gag) he's still getting the job done in the sack. He also indicated his preference to live in Maryland given Virginia's unreasonable tax and driving laws.

She politely dances with the guy twice a week, in addition to other men at the club, and, um, yeah, has a boyfriend.. her age.

It was always obvious Marley fancied my friend, but always from afar and never did I suspect he would make any sort of advance. But did he ever. And almost took the one thing my friend LOVES to do away from her - line dancing at this bar twice a week. But she prevailed and confronted him the next week, indicating he's never been more to her than an occasional dance partner, that he's not allowed to ask her to dance again, nor can he speak to her. Clearly, she had to be direct and to the point.

The price you pay for being lovely and kind, I guess.

Clearly, Marley is a bit off of his rocker. To have devised this entire plan in his mind with NO substance whatsoever. Or, who knows, perhaps he is playing by some very dated rules of courtship. I am assured, however, that he has since discovered some other young things to dance with now that her rules are set. Let's hope they uncover his intentions early on, before he discovers some bizarre Virginia law stating if a lady dances with a man more than 3 times on the same occasion, they are legally bound by marriage.

And he wants to live in Maryland. Silly Marley.

No comments: