Sunday, September 9, 2007

I see your Jean Grey and raise you a Spidergirl

I made my first comic book convention appearance today. I was there to support my boyfriend who collaborates with a friend of his on Fake McCoy comics (http://www.fakemccoy.com/). Normally I'd say something like "I attended my first comic book convention" today, but given the general response of participants and attendees as I walked around, I'm categorizing it differently. It's a rare day when I can say I was the best looking woman at a convention, but so it was on this sunny September day and I'll revel in it for at least a week. Maybe two.

I was certainly a fish out of water in many respects at the event, but I found it nonetheless fascinating. In particular it was amazing to consider just how much undiscovered talent there is out there in the art world. Since I was trying not to play up my "I have no idea what I'm looking at" reality, I had to stick to looking at the art on display from different comics, as opposed to taking in any of the writing. Still, that alone was impressive. Whether the image was the artist's own or a trace of the more familiar, the talent was just awesome. And it's always interesting to take a peek into a new world. Comic books are clearly a religion to many, and a fascination I will never understand but, after today, can certainly respect more.

As I walked out a very pretty blond woman was on her way in. She nodded at me and smiled and I pretended it was because I was passing a token torch to her. Then again, she was wearing a Wonder Woman t-shirt. I'm not sure if that will give her street cred or get her kicked out of the building. I kind of wish I'd hung around to find out.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

hey - remember when we went to see star wars just so we could feel like the hottest women somewhere? we probably should've found a comic book convention.... sounds like that could sustain the ego for a couple months, at least!

Cory Harris said...

You're the best looking woman anywhere.Unless it's a convention of Cristan clones. Then you're tied for second behind whichever clone is holding a banana. :)