There was a time in my life when I was a huge Lance Armstrong fan. More the Lance of the Kristen Armstrong era than the Sheryl Crow chapter, but most definitely pre-retirement Lance vs. post-retirement Lance. I basically dealt LiveStrong bracelets at my office. I was a yellow band pusher, for certain. Don't judge me. It was a phase.. a college thing.
Well now Lance is back. And so is Brett Favre. I guess the mockery Michael Jordan endured amidst his many retirements wasn't enough to prevent Lance and Brett from avoiding the same. We're simply left to wonder if their experiences with championships will be more like MJ's first post-retirement seasons or his second.
I'm just left to wonder.. why go to the trouble? Is declaring one's retirement from professional sports now akin to Michael Scott "declaring" bankruptcy? ("I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!")Are we just in it for the party now? Did Favre's screening for football commentary not go as well as Michael Irvin's? Is that even possible?
From the fan perspective, I just hate the notion of either of these men stumbling off into the dust once injury forces a next, more final retirement. They were both at such incredible high points, but peaks, nonetheless in their careers, to leave on a better note doesn't seem possible for either. Of course, I guess the real difference is what's driving the need to comeback. Knowing each of these men no better than I know your great uncle, I still get the sense that Favre feels a bit cheated due to a few bad seasons, addiction, you name it. For Favre, I feel like it really is the love of the game.
I do know a bit more about Armstrong. Well, check that. I know as much about Armstrong as his ghostwriter let me in on. Equipped with my understanding of him, my guess is this return is more about a pissing contest, more about an ego, more about a point to prove. Or maybe it's all about Michael Phelps, and 7 championships no longer makes the grade for larger than life athletes.There's no doubt he has the passion, don't get me wrong, but his re-entry lacks a purity. Or, perhaps, he's been called upon by those who once loathed him to inject life back into the sport after Lance-less doping scandals continue to suffocate its rebound.
Whatever the reason, I hope he doesn't leave another lovely lady covered in Trek marks along the way.
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment