One of my bridesmaids, Kelly, shared the story of her parents' wedding favors, personalized matchbooks, once I shared that's the favor I decided on. The story is, as follows:
My parents got married in May 1979. Uncle Nick went, and he wore his good suit. In April 2001, Uncle Nick once again busted out the good suit.... alas, this time for his sister Anna's funeral. He thought this suit was gray, and would therefore be appropriate. Since he hadn't worn it in a while, he asked my gramma to have it dry cleaned for him. As it turned out, the suit was black... and very, very dusty. And, in the pocket, was the matchbook from my parents' wedding.
Case closed, your honor.
Still, matchbooks are practical. We do have smokers in the family; they'll likely use them the same evening, and everyone has candles, right?
So, matchbooks. They were on sale at The Knot. They'll look something like this:
Now, this is likely not the only trinket we'll give our guests, and with the reality that our wedding date is the Fourth of July, I do want to do one or two things in tune with the theme.US Flags!
So I started browsing the web for those small, handheld flags we all wave at parades and political rallies while sipping lemonade, listening to baseball games on the radio and humming The Star Spangled Banner. I can find them for a real deal!
So then I began to visualize. A flag at every place setting, with the book of matches above it.
Ummmmm... why do I think that might turn ugly? Perhaps not the best gesture to the Vietnam vets in attendance. Arrival bags, then. We'll put the flags in the guest arrival bags. Phew. Any potential flag burning can then be enjoyed in the comfort of our guests homes and not at our reception.
Crisis averted.
1 comment:
I vote for sparklers!
Post a Comment