Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Unfaithful

I just read Valerie's blog about her awful meeting today. I had 4 on the books for today, and ended up bagging on the third because the second went too long (making me look like a total douchebag to the four people who were expecting me at the third.. any minute now.. any minute now). Anyway, I felt a bit railroaded in my last meeting. It was actually somewhat of a surreal experience, as these people were talking to me like I was throwing a fit and not understanding what they were saying, when I really did understand and wasn't throwing a fit, which made me wonder if what I hear myself say and how I feel myself react is completely opposite to that which I'm actually doing. Ah me.. I just can't win. Anyway, this meeting ran late which meant I arrived at the rental car place JUST as he was closing. Thank God for good people. Or, rather, thank God for slightly awkward chaps who seem to enjoy the company, in whatever form, of any woman. He let me in and got me squared away. That means I'm all set to take off for....

PITTSBURGH.

Jealous, suckah?

Anyway, this blog wasn't supposed to be about meetings. This blog is about being unfaithful. No, I do not come to you with a major confession of wrongdoing, rather, this is about my guilt surrounding how I treat the one companion who is there for me morning and night, who can make me laugh, and make me cry, who can motivate me to trudge forward or show me the power of slowing down.

My MP3 player.

I don't know what it is. I love music... especially MY music. Nevertheless, I'm such a dirty no good dog when it comes to my MP3 player. 9 times out of 10, despite the great care I've taken to load my MP3 player with songs that I love, I automatically hit "next". It's like I can only feign interest in any given song for a few chords and I'm all set. Time to move on.

The trouble is, I tend to have hot flings with songs and then kick them to the curb. We'll go about a week when I spend much of my commute desperately looking forward to it making its way through my earbuds. A surge flows through my body upon hearing it! I play it again, and again, and again. I can't get enough!

But then, it fades. One full play through per day does it for me. Then, maybe I don't seek it out as much anymore, like, if it comes on, great, but I'm not going to go to the trouble of finding it myself. Then, something else, something entirely different, has caught my ear. It was fun while it lasted, but I'm just not feeling it anymore. Maybe I'll reconnect with it a few months down the road, for a day of nostalgia, but, at that point, I've also identified a new song that is making my head spin, making me smile for no reason.. you get the drift.

I'm a total player.

Anyway, someone explain this rare form of ADD to me. It seems so unfair! How can I be so cruel?

In closing, here's to the hope of having fun stories to share from Pittsburgh. Please be my friend and cross your fingers that I don't have to drive through snow for either leg!

1 comment:

MEG said...

PITTSBURGH.

Jealous, suckah?

....


Hey now, I am jealous, haha! (YES, I am that bored at work...) Be nice to the Steel City and it will be kind to you. Sidenote: Meetings totally suck, it's hard to keep that "I'm interested and not anxious to leave" look on your face, no?