Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Goosebumps

Today was a day for goosebumps.

Goosebumps Reason Number One: Oscar Nominations! Ok, really, I need to start having my Oscar party again. Oscar Night is one of my FAVORITES! Golden Globes is right up there as well, but there's a certain accessiblity to the Golden Globes that the Oscars have never quite emitted. There's a level of Old Hollywood sophistication whose equivolance simply cannot be captured by even the biggest awards shows of other mediums (Grammys, Emmys, Kid's Choice Awards.. you get the drift).

There are some truly fantastic surprises in this year's Oscar nods. Jennifer Hudson, obviously, is one to be excited about. But how about Adriana Barraza in Babel? She doesn't speak a single word in the film! And Abigail Breslin? Too much fun. How wonderful to have a young actress nominated for a comedic role - arguably the most challenging type of role in the craft.

I am also completely psyched about the Supporting Actor nominations, and give a formal shout out to Cory for calling the Jackie Earle Haley nod. What an oustanding surprise. His performance in Little Children shows an immersion that is almost creepy. Well, no, it is creepy. He plays a child molester and he's really good at it. Yuck. The Alan Arkin and Mark Wahlberg nods are absolutely deserved as well. Arkin has to be one of the most underrated actors of his time, and as much as we keep wanting to write Wahlberg off as a bit of a one hit wonder of multiple media (Good Vibrations AND Boogie Nights), The Departed gave him a role he clearly loved playing. Simply put, he ran with it. He's also gotten way better on the eyes over the years. Wicked pissah.

Goosebumps Reason Two: Call me sentimental, but hearing George W. Bush acknowledge his honor at being the first President to utter "Madam Speaker" at the State of the Union, well, I got a little faklemped. Love her or hate her, it remains an extraordinary moment in our history. There she stood, looking over a crowd that included the first bonafide female presidential contender and the first bonafide African American presidential contender... and Libby Dole. Again, love them or hate them, extraordinary.

Goosebumps Reason Three: American Idol. Ok, we still took a little too much time to make fun of slow "Elvis", and raking the dude whose wife just cheated on him was a bit much, but that lovely cherub who sang "For Once in My Life" by Stevie Wonder (how much do we love Stevie? SO MUCH!).. well, I just want to put her in my pocket. Love her love her love her. Love the song, love the voice, love the style, love the look, love the personality. Love it all.

Goosebumps Reason Four: Big official announcement of my super crazy new temporary big boss lady position. I offer this on behalf of my parents, who had goosebumps. Me? I threw up in my mouth.

Goosebumps Reason Five: I think I get to go to Hawaii for a work trip in April. Bitchin.

Goosebumps Reason Six: I ate tater tots for lunch. YUM.

No comments: