Tuesday, January 20, 2009

On the unexplained...

I don't know why it snowed today... why it snowed in North Carolina. Why it snowed and extended our Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend by one day. Why it snowed and allowed me the rest I needed after a sleep deprived night with a sore throat and stuffy nose. Why it snowed and welcomed me to see the history I'm still wrapping my head around.

I write because this will soon be all too commonplace, and what a wonderful reality that will be. But even today I watched Barack Obama take the oath of office and become President of the United States, and I was not greeted with the same emotion I encountered Election Night. No tears like that November Day. No shaky hands. Instead, today, I simply basked in the warmth of the confidence of four years with a leader I can believe in. It's as if I'm already all too used to the first African American President. Like it's suddenly no longer a big deal.

So I write to remember this day. I write in case I need to pass it onto others down the line. I write because, although I am no longer in awe, necessarily, of this moment in history, I mark that the legacy is already building on this, his first day on the job.

I watched a silly program tonight; televised coverage of the Neighborhood Ball. Yet another opportunity for Hollywood to sing Obama's praises, but also a moment to watch Barack and Michelle dance to "At Last", sung live by Beyonce, and be in awe of the youth, of the strength, of the bond of these two people.

There's something in the air. Good times are ahead.

I don't know why it snowed in Carolina today. I'm just glad it did.

No comments: