Thursday, December 11, 2008

On an aversion to energy..

Never buy me anything that requires batteries.

My mother requested a watch for Christmas. As I wrapped her gift I got to thinking that I haven't worn a watch for about a year. It's been horribly inconvenient, really, and it has nothing to do with being too proud to have time dictated on my arm.

I just don't want to replace the battery.

I have 3 watches in my jewelry box. All are in working order, but in need of new batteries. For a couple of years I simply decided I would rather buy a new watch than buy a new battery.

This isn't at all acceptable, is it?

And then there's my cell phone. I've got a good 10 minutes of battery life on it fully charged until it dies again. It's been this way for probably 4 months. It just needs a new battery. A new battery is about $40.

But I'm on the "New Every Two" plan with Verizon and I'm eligible for a new free phone in January. Why would I spend $40 on a battery when I'm so close to a new phone? The better alternative, apparently, is to limit conversations with family and friends to the length of a commercial break. Treating my cell like a landline and being constantly planted 1 foot from the wall so it can charge while I talk has become a regular activity as well.

Seriously. How lazy can a human be?

Babies don't need batteries, do they?

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Only read through the watch bit so far. I had two watch batteries changed at once. One watch worked fine. The other now lets water into the crystal whenever I wash my hands. It gets all condensation-y and then I can't read the time. Definitely money well spent.

Kelly said...

NO BABIES!!!!!!!