There were a thousand reasons why I wasn't going to be able to sleep tonight. They range from the legitimate to the pathetic:
Legitimate: Last night's marathon monuments by moonlight tour got us home around 1:15, leaving me with inadequate sleep for returning to work, resulting in my taking a two hour nap when I got home this evening.
Pathetic: Home alone. All noises mean boogeyman is lurking in my cereal cabinet ready to pounce.
Legitimate: Learned around 9 pm that I will be the sole representation for my office at a last minute meeting tomorrow. Our decisions and policies surrounding three individuals, no check that, our enforcement of policies created by people other than ourselves in an effort to bring an atmosphere of even the slightest academic integrity have a delegation flying in from Japan to raise a fit. No joke.
Pathetic: I'm almost thirty and have yet to make the connection between no sleep and caffeine consumption after 9 pm.
Legitimate: There are a few thousand things running through my mind at any given time. New job, new major responsibilities, big move, upcoming financial situation, oh, and something about a wedding. I'm also overdue for an oil change and need to buy a baby shower present.. stat.
Pathetic: The other things running through my mind that you don't get to know about.
The good news is I haven't been completely negligent with my time this evening. I packed three boxes and a suitcase and set aside some treasures for friends. I called my dad. I did some work.
At times I honestly do feel a bit tortured. Pardon the dramatic phrasing, but it's a rare moment when my mind feels settled. Perhaps it's just this moment in time, but I've had enough tough nights to wonder how I can better get a grasp on it. Because the truth of the matter is I'm tired.. a lot. So what gives?
One thing is for sure. If watching Carson Daly can't put me to sleep tonight, nothing can.
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's caffeine past 8pm. 9 is for, like, junkies.
Post a Comment