I like to think I can roll with the punches. I'm also willing to admit I am capable of gross overestimation of my ability to roll with the punches.
Lately, I'm just craving some smooth sailing. Just a bit of perfection to balance the rest of it out. Not that anything is so abstract in my life right now that I'm unable to wrap my head around it. Rather, I've just had enough hiccups to leave me grasping for whatever remedy I can get my hands on. I'm looking for my spoonful of sugar. My glass of water sipped from the opposite end of the cup.
Take Valentine's Day. I did the slightest bit of paint damage to my car. My boyfriend spent time filling out police reports prior to our fancy dinner because someone ripped off his debit card information. A grad school also opted to send a rejection to him that day. A lovely, expensive dinner will smooth it over, no? Sure, except for the less than impeccable service you expect at a $200 dinner, and the huge glass of red wine spilled on the woman next to me by a waiter. Did I mention he got it all over her white jacket too? I guess I was too distracted by his "OH SHIT!" reaction to offer it up the first time.
Take my flight to San Francisco for work. All and all, I'm just thrilled I made it in time for my first appointment, albeit with 20 minutes to spare. Still, a comedy of errors at Dulles Airport left me unable to check in to my mechanically "maybe we'll go, maybe we won't" direct flight. Of course, it took 4 broken kiosk phones, 3 line misdirections by airline staff, painfully slow lines and suffering the many dramatic interpretations of my obnoxious fellow travelers before I even learned of the mechanical problem and could be rebooked on a connecting flight through San Diego. I then had 20 minutes to get through securty. Ever been to Dulles? Yeah...
Then it was just the little things in San Fran. Realizing I brought exactly the wrong clothes. Wishing I'd been more anal in planning the first day's free time, one that included at least one pretty lackluster meal and a lot of wandering around a neighborhood that's not so swell at night. One late kid, two no shows and one bratty student interviewed. The rest of the students, however, were total gems. And having my guy in town with me made everything better too.
Of course, I'm still feeling pretty good today. I'm back to the workout routine, and that helps me navigate the messiness that awaits me every day in the office. I continue to try to make sense of two colleagues who cannot work together, much less get along, both of whom defy my wishes in completely different ways while trying to completely sabotage each other. Completely entertaining to watch if it wasn't so heartbreaking and such a complete waste of productivity.
Still, I fight on and am doing just fine. Nevertheless, fairies of fate, just a little perfection is all I crave. Seamless travel, honest people with the best of intentions, protected finances and a wine spill free dip into the experience economy.
I don't mean to complain, I just need to be reminded it exists.
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Every single person I know has had a February just like that. Thank God this is a short month.
My take is that it's February's job to just completely suck. Makes the coming spring seem even brighter...
Post a Comment