Wednesday, February 13, 2008

On it's oh so quiet...

My office had a delay in opening today due to "inclement weather". I, of course, did not know of this delay until I had already left for campus. Since my commute entailed a little bit of rain and temps above freezing, I just kept going.

I must say, however, that it was the greatest gift to come into my office and work, literally uninterrupted, for 3 hours before anyone really showed up. It makes me realize just how many fires I attempt to put out in a day, how much time is taken up just dealing with the day to day, and why I need to stop beating myself up so much about not getting to the things on my to-do lists. Simply put, there aren't enough hours in the day to get past item one or two on that list... particularly when your 12 mile commute home takes three hours (ok, ok, that was just last night). It also doesn't help that I'm a huge proponent of open door policies. I felt horrible yesterday when I had to close my door just to get an urgent e-mail typed without a variety of visitors lining up outside. Somedays my life really does feel like an autograph line at spring training. Well, without the pro athlete salary and adoration by all, anyway.

So, thank you, absurd people of the DC area, for having no idea how to drive in rain and allowing me some much needed peace to start my day. My to-do list also thanks you.

1 comment:

Lemon Gloria said...

We had delayed opening as well. I found out when I arrived a half hour early. Most people came in, though. I was glad for the semi-quiet.