It's so easy to lose perspective. To feel as if the weight of the world is on your shoulders and nothing could be bigger than what you're dealing with at that moment. On better days, my boss has to remind me that, if we mess up, babies don't die. On worse days I'm the one reminding her of that.
With the emphasis on technology and capabilities of communication, information gathering, and the fact that one can opt to live an interactive and activity infused life from the comfort of their living room, I welcome the opportunity to be smacked in the face by nature. This morning, as I made my way into work at an ungodly hour, I was confronted by one of the brightest and fullest moons I have ever seen. Scratch that. I've seen a lot of moons like this one. But the true power of nature is the fact that it can make you forget you've ever seen something so spectacular with its reemergence.
I was careful not to cause any car accidents as I stared at its magnificence as I rounded the Pentagon and made my way across Key Bridge. It stayed with me for a couple of miles. It was a reminder, and a comforting one, of how small I really am and how massive it, in fact, is, to be visible from so very far away.
I like those moments. I like being an ant in the moon's viewpoint. And I like that, as much as I really want an iPod, I'd prefer those humbling moments any day of the week.
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment