Sunday, June 8, 2008

So... what's new?

As I write this blog, I have a tail tucked between my legs as punishment for my negligence to cyberspace rants and realizations. Of course, the closest tail I could find was on one of the feral cats that lives outside of my apartment building. I wish he'd stop hissing and trying to get away. Some animals just don't understand the importance of sincere gestures.

So it's been a while. The thing is, I have a lot going on in my world right now. But it's okay. It's a family tradition, really. Why engage in one or even two major life changes when you can indulge in three at the same time?

My job search (and the relocation it requires) continues, with some progress. A phone interview last week, another for a different job this week, and a face to face for last week's phone interview about to be scheduled. I also continue to be mishandled by a university not to be named who may or may not be interested based on a variety of factors, such as : 1) how much money I'm willing to not make 2) how much of a title downgrade I can swallow and 3) the stages of the moon. Still, there does appear to be a light at the end of the job tunnel, and my fingers are triple crossed for this week's phone interview. Wish me luck.

Oh, and I got engaged.

My guy popped the question the Friday before Memorial Day. Before you curse me for waiting so long to tell you, dear blog, understand that there is a frenzy that follows such an announcement. For example, I may actually come close to my monthly allotment of cell phone minutes for May and June! And for as much fun as people make of me for being a) so "on the ball" with planning or b) so freakishly obsessed with planning, it's amazing how much people expect you to have figured out within the 24 hours post-proposal. Really, I'm just trying to determine a budget with what I've done so far, but it's incredible how far down Alice's wedding planning hole that can inadvertently take you.

The few days following my engagement were probably the happiest days of my life. I hate how anti-feminist that sounds, but it's true; there really was magic in the air. And there continues to be, don't get me wrong. I fall more in love with him every day, and perhaps that is how we know it's the real thing. His one major fault, as far as I can determine, is his whacked perspective regarding the size of my fingers. While friends would describe them as thin and delicate, his choice of ring size assumes sausage fingers. As such, I have been without my lovely ring for almost a week as it endures band liposuction. I could try to convince you of the fact that I don't desperately miss it, but I'm a horrible liar.

With every passing day, I am reminded of what a remarkable human being my guy is. Oh, pardon me, my fiance is! He is the type of person you always want around: smart, hilarious, humble and kind. He is the type of person who can't help but make you a better person, professional or friend. He's someone whose person, heart and standards I never want to let down. He's someone who believes in the benefit of the doubt. He quietly makes sure I don't let my Irish temper get the best of me with Jedi mind trick mastery. He has a smile that commands mine in return. I don't understand what I ever did to convince this gem of a man to sign on for the long run, but I will strive to replicate it again and again and again.

We're both children of divorced parents who never remarried. The bizarre logistics of that reality in wedding planning, by the way, are well worth their own blog entry, but that is for another time. As he got down on his knee and offered me the ring, once I accepted and wiped away my first round of tears, I placed my hands on his shoulders and promised him, "I will always give you my best." He promised me the same. We don't enter this next stage lightly. We enter it with the understanding there are both joys and sorrows, highs and lows that are to come. Nevertheless, there is no one whose hand I would rather hold or whose side I would rather stand by.

Thank you for keeping me silly, my sweet. I love you back.

No comments: