Monday, June 16, 2008

On protection...

I think I have ADD.

Lately, I find I can't concentrate on one task for much longer than a few minutes. I feel like Mozilla Firefox is, in part, to blame. This multiple tab business invites major multi-tasking, and is all too enabling with my rapid-fire thought process. Currently, I have my two e-mail account tabs open, facebook, mycokerewards.com, a bridesmaid dress site, my blog stats and my blog itself. My wedding spreadsheet is also on the ready, and I just added new pictures to a flash drive for our digital photo frame. Here's a sampling of the brain sparklers from earlier today:

I should check for more jobs in Raleigh.

Maybe I should rethink the wedding colors. Should they match the reception room instead?

I need to outline my presentation for next week's interview.

Where will we live in Raleigh?

Did I ever book that meeting space?

Please note that any rapid fire thought occurring at work that is actually related to my current job didn't enter in until number 5. I will be found out any day now, I'm just sure of it.

Now that my bridal party is lined up, I've invited a lot of wardrobe questions. As such, a visit to dessy.com includes an invitation to read more about A Brides Guide to Bridesmaids. I was told by a former colleague today she'd be more than happy to send along her "How to Make Your Bridesmaids Happy" tips, as she is a recent disgruntled b-maid courtesy of her bridezilla now sister-in-law.

I have no interest in pissing off my bridesmaids, and I've been on the organizing end of enough events to have an understanding of the fact that NOTHING actually goes off without a hitch. Rolling with the punches is essential. It's my hope to bring that and a healthy dose of open mindedness to all things related to this event, but to my bridal party in particular.

Upon perusal of the Brides Guide to Bridesmaids, I clicked on A Brief History and learned the following:

The history of the bridesmaid varies across cultures, religions and time periods. In early Roman times, bridesmaids formed a kind of bridal infantry as they accompanied the bride to the groom's village. This "protective shield" of similarly outfitted bridesmaids was supposed to intervene if any wayward thugs or vengeful suitors tried to hurt the bride or steal her dowry.


This changes everything.

I am suddenly way too excited by the options for wardrobe. A bridal infantry? My wedding is going to kick ass. Swords covered in flowers, shields with delicate etchings and suits of armor. Then I don't need to hear anyone bitch about an unflattering style or color. Huzzah!

Or perhaps we should go Kill Bill style. Yellow jump suits, ninja garb or school girl uniforms with morning stars.

Like I said, the options are endless.

Gotta go. I need to get these girls signed up for martial arts classes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm out if we're in yellow jumpsuits. Hell, any jumpsuits. Or yellow.

But martial arts... hmmm.....I prefer a more yogic laying-on-floor-envisioning-weight-melting-off-me kind of workout. That, or the elliptical w/ my ipod.

But sign me up for a sword.