Tonight I'd like to offer the first installment in what I envision as a sporadic series known as "I Don't Want to Be THAT Guy".
Our pilot episode features the "creator of annoying commercials" guy.
The guy we can thank for inspiring this series is the chump behind the Hillshire Farm ads. Don't even try to tell me you haven't sung along with "When I say Hillshire, you say Farms!" These really are some of the most appallingly bad commercials on television. I'm 99% sure they're supposed to be appallingly bad, but you never know, really.
Ultimately, however, among the many themes in Advertising 101 is the "annoying = memorable" mantra. Sure, you may irritate 87% of the greater consumer base with your seizure inducing jingle, but they'll remember it. It takes me back to the Quizno's ads of a few years back with the singing rats. I was part of the 13% that thought the ads were genius and would serenade my roommates with "THEY HAVE A PICKLE BAR!" in celebration of the humor. But I know this campaign made the three of them want to rip off at least one ear. And one of them was SUPER weird, so that's saying something.
Still, it's got to be an odd existence. You're in advertising and you pick up a client who subscribes to the "Annoy or Die!" mantra. Thus, your job becomes to create the most annoying, infectious ad campaign to date, so your client's product will be memorable. Essentially, you're asked to create a disease.
Is it just me or is that seriously messed up? Yep. I feel for that guy.
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Two words: Get TiVo. 100% of the cheesetastic TV; 0% of the annoying commercials. Frees up brain space to be filled instead with stupid songs you can't get out of your head.
Oh! Oh! Do I know who the "SUPER weird" one is? Do I? Yeah, I bet I do. In any event, I have YET to lift my ban on Quiznos resulting from that ad.
Post a Comment